DIY: Cold Brew Barako

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Caffeine is my drug of choice, and coffee is my medium. I don't fair well in the presence of questionable substances and my tolerance for alcohol is abysmal. When I'm all out of luck, I turn to a cup of joe for an instant buzz. I, however, am not the type to fuel my mornings with coffee, so make it too strong and unpleasant results may follow. I'm left with a very acidic feeling in my gut and a crazy wired state lasting several hours too long--try the morning after!

Cold brew coffee is slowly gaining popularity and I remember taking my very first sip from the farmer's market a few months back. I was allured by the promise of a sweeter, less acidic drink from the lack of heat involved in the brewing process. Could this be the answer to my coffee-drinking problems? The Pioneer Woman taught me how to make this on my own, without breaking a sweat. In this batch, I decided to use barako grounds my sister brought back from the Philippines. I'm not very particular with coffee varieties but local Philippine coffee has a special place in my heart. The final product will be a concentrate, and you can make your coffee to your liking (which in my case, involves heaping amounts of condensed milk--see the thick layer below, ha!).

Cold Brew Coffee

Place ¾ cup coffee grounds in a large bowl or pitcher. Add 3 cups room temperature water and cover. Let steep for 8-12 hours in room temperature (see first image). Line a mesh strainer with a coffee filter, and fit it over another container. Slowly pour the mixture through the strainer to save the liquid concentrate. Enjoy immediately, or chill until ready to serve. Keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
7) Recommended serving - one part coffee and one part water/milk over ice.

Recipe adapted from Whole Foods

No comments :

Post a Comment